[darwinbuild] booting xnu 8G32

ritchie darwinbuild at repentsinner.org
Thu Feb 2 15:17:14 PST 2006

On 06-02-06, at 1824 , Shantonu Sen wrote:
> What's the output of "nvram -p" after you run this kswap script?

the boot-file variable is:
first-boot/@0:3,mach_kernel.orig

I was also booting off a fw disk, in which case the fw disk address
was a big long mess. I read that some machines don't like the @0:#,
instead requiring @0:0, but I'm not sure that makes sense for this
particular case, since it's being copied directly from the boot-
device variable:
first-boot/@0:3,\\:tbxi

perhaps boot-file needs to have some \'s or /'s preceding the
filename? I haven't been able to find much info at all on the
particulars of boot-file and different machines/os's. it seems like
it's just a handy place to pass some info to the boot-loader, so
perhaps I need to go diving in BootX? for now just copying my new
kernel onto /mach_kernel and keeping a rescue os on a fw disk seems
like a decent method.

> In any event, be wary of shell scripts downloaded from the
> internet. ;-)

true enough. doesn't almost all of darwinbuild fall into that
category? :)

best regards,
r.