[darwinbuild] "darwinbuild xnu" fails: /dev/null: No such file or directory

Dustin Lang dalang at cs.ubc.ca
Mon Jan 9 13:29:44 PST 2006

Hi,

I'll provide an answer to my own question.

It appears that the "as" command invoked by the build script was deleting
/dev/null.  Cheeky monkey!  I fixed it by changing the following line in
darwinbuild (around line 620):
         echo "    cctools version: \$(as -v -o /dev/null < /dev/null 2>&1
| cut -c 22- 2>/dev/null)"

to:

 	echo "    cctools version: \$(as -v -o /ignore-me < /dev/null 2>&1
| cut -c 22- 2>/dev/null)"

I found this problem by adding an "ls -l /dev/null" after that line and
finding that /dev/null no longer existed.

After this change, xnu is (so far) happily building...

By the way, this was on a MacOS 10.3.9 system:
> sw_vers
ProductName:    Mac OS X
ProductVersion: 10.3.9
BuildVersion:   7W98