[darwinbuild] "darwinbuild xnu" fails: /dev/null: No such file or directory

Shantonu Sen ssen at opendarwin.org
Mon Jan 9 13:39:31 PST 2006

Fascinating... if you look at the file cctools/as/notes:

Changes for the 5.17 release (the cctools-572 release):
- Fixed a bug so that if /dev/null is used as the output file it is
not unlinked
   since it is not a regular file.  The change was in write_object() in
   write_object.c to stat(2) the output file first and check to see
that it is a
   regular file before doing the unlink(2). Radar bug #4007180.

Since Panther's cctools doesn't have this change, darwinbuild doesn't
work. It looks like we should not be relying on that functionality.

Your change is probably the correct one. Thanks for investigating this!

Shantonu