[darwinbuild-dev] Build Architecture

Kevin Van Vechten kvv at apple.com
Sat Jan 19 01:40:18 PST 2008

On Jan 18, 2008, at 3:35 PM, Michael Franz wrote:

> I have been on the Macports list where there is a PHP script that
> creates a dot dependency dump.  In this version the nodes and lines
> are color coded.  Some of the color coding indicates the supported
> builds PPC/Intel/Universal.  Is this information in the plists?  If
> not, would it be worthwhile adding?

Virtually all Darwin projects are built universal -- the only
exceptions tend to be kernel extensions which are platform specific --
so it's probably not very useful to worry about architecture in the
graph.  On the other hand, distinguishing between build-time, run-
time, and library dependencies would be very interesting.

> I think there is some informal naming that indicates the
> architecture, but it would be nice if this was explicit.

The 8Xnnn builds describe PPC Mac OS X releases, and the 8Xnnnn builds
describe i386 Mac OS X releases.  Both are built universal; the PPC
Mac OS X releases strip the i386 architecture, but the i386 Mac OS X
release still include the ppc architecture (for Rosetta).

- Kevin