[darwinbuild-dev] Solution to libredo problem

Craig Setera craigjunk at setera.org
Mon Apr 27 12:54:45 PDT 2009

Hello all,

I'm new to darwinbuild and was having trouble trying to get it to
build at all.  I was getting the following error message.

Undefined symbols for architecture ppc64:
   "_object_file_type", referenced from:
       SHA1DigestMachO::SHA1DigestMachO(char const*)in Digest.o

Looking a bit closer, I realized that the problem was not the
libredo.o that is being shipped as a binary in darwinbuild, but a
libred_prebind.a that was already sitting on my system from something
else.  According to http://forums.macosxhints.com/archive/index.php/t-67796.html
  this file was likely installed when I tested out PocketMac for my
Blackberry.  After removing PocketMac, it appears to leave behind a
bunch of files that should probably have been removed.  Unfortunately,
the darwinbuild makefile was picking up the file from that old
installation.  After moving that file out of the way, I was able to
get darwinbuild to compile.  Now, I can move on to the real goal of
building some Darwin code.

Hopefully this message will help someone else out if they run into
this problem.
Thanks.