[darwinbuild-dev] Solution to libredo problem

Craig Setera craigjunk at setera.org
Mon Apr 27 12:54:45 PDT 2009

Hello all,

I'm new to darwinbuild and was having trouble trying to get it to  
build at all.  I was getting the following error message.

Undefined symbols for architecture ppc64:
   "_object_file_type", referenced from:
       SHA1DigestMachO::SHA1DigestMachO(char const*)in Digest.o

Looking a bit closer, I realized that the problem was not the  
libredo.o that is being shipped as a binary in darwinbuild, but a  
libred_prebind.a that was already sitting on my system from something  
else.  According to http://forums.macosxhints.com/archive/index.php/t-67796.html 
  this file was likely installed when I tested out PocketMac for my  
Blackberry.  After removing PocketMac, it appears to leave behind a  
bunch of files that should probably have been removed.  Unfortunately,  
the darwinbuild makefile was picking up the file from that old  
installation.  After moving that file out of the way, I was able to  
get darwinbuild to compile.  Now, I can move on to the real goal of  
building some Darwin code.

Hopefully this message will help someone else out if they run into  
this problem.

More information about the darwinbuild-dev mailing list