[darwinbuild-dev] DARWIN_BUILDROOT not used by darwinbuild

William Siegrist wsiegrist at apple.com
Sat Jan 10 12:50:50 PST 2009

On Jan 10, 2009, at 6:01 AM, Gerben Wierda wrote:

> This snipper in darwinbuild
>
>> export SRCROOT="${REAL_SRCROOT/$prefix/}"
>> export OBJROOT="${REAL_OBJROOT/$prefix/}"
>> export SYMROOT="${REAL_SYMROOT/$prefix/}"
>> export DSTROOT="${REAL_DSTROOT/$prefix/}"
>
> Seems wrong to me. When I add to darwinbuild:
>
>> echo "**** DEBUG BuildRoot = ${BuildRoot}"
>> echo "**** DEBUG REAL_SRCROOT = ${REAL_SRCROOT}"
>> echo "**** DEBUG SRCROOT = ${SRCROOT}"
>> echo "**** DEBUG REAL_DSTROOT = ${REAL_DSTROOT}"
>
>> echo "**** DEBUG DSTROOT = ${DSTROOT}"
>

> I get:
>
> hermione-a:darwin root# darwinbuild ChatServer
> *** Fetching Sources ...
> Found ChatServer-263.1.tar.gz in /usr/local/src/darwin/Sources
> **** DEBUG DARWIN_BUILDROOT = /usr/local/src/darwin
> **** DEBUG BuildRoot = /usr/local/src/darwin/BuildRoot
> **** DEBUG REAL_SRCROOT = /usr/local/src/darwin/BuildRoot/
> SourceCache/ChatServer/ChatServer-263.1
> **** DEBUG SRCROOT = /SourceCache/ChatServer/ChatServer-263.1
> **** DEBUG REAL_DSTROOT = /usr/local/src/darwin/BuildRoot/private/
> var/tmp/ChatServer/ChatServer-263.1.root
> **** DEBUG DSTROOT = /private/var/tmp/ChatServer/ChatServer-263.1.root
>
> The SRCROOT and DSTROOT variables seem incorrect to me. An in fact
> "darwinbuild ChatServer" seems to fail because of it because though
> my Darwin root is on a case sensitive file system, this is mounted
> as /usr/local and it is not used by xcode (which tries to look in /
> where it finds a case-preserving file system instead). Or am I
> missing something?

Darwinbuild uses a chroot in BuildRoot, which is why /usr/local/ is
not in some paths. The "platform is missing" error is because Xcode
does not work inside of chroots on most filesystems.  Your only option
right now is to make a UFS disk image and build on that. Projects
which use make are not affected.

Thanks
-Bill