[darwinbuild-dev] Problem building apache and pcre

Sander Temme sander at mac.com
Thu Oct 8 11:06:23 PDT 2009

On Oct 8, 2009, at 10:22 AM, William Siegrist wrote:

> On Oct 8, 2009, at 9:49 AM, Tony Morales wrote:
>
>> I'm running OSX 10.6 (10A432) and trying to build 10A432 apache
>> using darwinbuild svn revision 594 (latest as of this writing).
>>
>> The apache Makefile contains this line:
>>
>>               --with-pcre=/usr/local/bin/pcre-config \
>>
>> None of the roots put this file into the build environment (and it
>> is not in OSX 10.6 either), and I can't seem to see a pcre root in
>> the list of 10A432 projects.  Furthermore, OSX's native Apache
>> httpd binary links against /usr/lib/libpcre libraries.  Is pcre
>> supposed to be part of Darwin but isn't?
>>

> This is already known internally (at Apple), we will hopefully have
> a pcre root or release available soon.  A lot of projects will have
> problems without pcre since grep uses it (and autoconf uses grep).
> Some of this can be fixed by building your own grep (or your own
> pcre), but we'll have this "officially" fixed eventually.

FWIW the HEAD of PCRE has an unbroken streak of 361 builds on Apache
Gump: http://clarus.apache.org/pcre/index.html

This is an XServe G4 running Tiger, but it seems PCRE is a solidly
building citizen on the platform.

Apache HTTP Server HEAD is currently broken because the Apache
Portable Runtime utilities were folded into APR proper, and I'm
waiting for some tuits to fix the descriptor.

S.

--
sander at mac.com              http://www.temme.net/sander/