[launchd-dev] bitlbee - xinetd to launchd

Johannes Kneer jkneer at n8geil.de
Thu Nov 1 16:47:01 PDT 2007

Hi

> Are you making sure to run launchctl as root?
> Once you do, is the job already loaded? Check like so: sudo
> launchctl list | grep org.bitlbee.bitlbee

host:~ root# launchctl unload /Library/LaunchDaemons/
org.bitlbee.bitlbee.plist
host:~ root# vim /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.bitlbee.bitlbee.plist
*host:~ root# launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/
org.bitlbee.bitlbee.plist
bind(): Operation not permitted
host:~ root# launchctl list | grep org.bitlbee.bitlbee
-	0	org.bitlbee.bitlbee
host:~ root# telnet 127.0.0.1 6667
Trying 127.0.0.1...
host: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused
host: Unable to connect to remote host
host:~ root#

(I like ssh root at localhost more than sudo :)

> Also, please remove the KeepAlive key/value pair. It is incompatible
> with the rest of the plist. I suppose we should add a sanity check
> for that... Oh well.

The above took place with the removed KeepAlive key/value pair.
And I guess a sanity check is a good idea... I'm wondering about the
low traffic here on the list. Launchd is now a central column of the
OS X experience - and no more developers have questions about it?

cheers,
Johannes