[launchd-dev] bitlbee - xinetd to launchd

Dave Zarzycki zarzycki at apple.com
Thu Nov 1 16:52:59 PDT 2007

On Nov 1, 2007, at 4:47 PM, Johannes Kneer wrote:

> Hi
>
>> Are you making sure to run launchctl as root?
>> Once you do, is the job already loaded? Check like so: sudo
>> launchctl list | grep org.bitlbee.bitlbee
>
> host:~ root# launchctl unload /Library/LaunchDaemons/
> org.bitlbee.bitlbee.plist
> host:~ root# vim /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.bitlbee.bitlbee.plist
> *host:~ root# launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/
> org.bitlbee.bitlbee.plist
> bind(): Operation not permitted
> host:~ root# launchctl list | grep org.bitlbee.bitlbee
> -	0	org.bitlbee.bitlbee
> host:~ root# telnet 127.0.0.1 6667
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> host: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused
> host: Unable to connect to remote host
> host:~ root#
>
> (I like ssh root at localhost more than sudo :)

Odd.

What does the output of "lsof -P | grep 6667" say?

Do you have any firewall magic installed or configured? Is a pre-
existing copy of the daemon already running?

The bind() error means this is more of a networking problem than a
launchd problem...

>> Also, please remove the KeepAlive key/value pair. It is
>> incompatible with the rest of the plist. I suppose we should add a
>> sanity check for that... Oh well.
>
> The above took place with the removed KeepAlive key/value pair.
> And I guess a sanity check is a good idea... I'm wondering about the
> low traffic here on the list. Launchd is now a central column of the
> OS X experience - and no more developers have questions about it?

I guess developers are either content, or not using it. :-P

davez