[launchd-dev] No pboard server?

Dave Dribin dave-ml at dribin.org
Thu Aug 28 22:18:54 PDT 2008

On Aug 28, 2008, at 11:36 PM, Dave Dribin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is sort of a last ditch effort before I re-install....  A few
> hours ago, copy and paste stopped working on my MBP (running 10.5.4).
> Sure enough pboard was dead.  I decided to reboot, just in case
> anything else got messed up.  Now it will not start at all.  Running
> "launchctl list" does not show it, and if I try and explicitly list
> it, I get the following error message:
>
>   % launchctl list com.apple.pboard
>   launch_msg(): Socket is not connected

Well, somehow /private/tmp went missing.  Recreated it, and now all is
fine.  I've no idea how that happened.  Anyhow, please disregard this
last message.

One thing, though... isn't there some script that clears out /private/
tmp at startup?  Perhaps it should also check to make sure it exists?
Actually, it looks like /etc/rc used to do just that on 10.4.  Where
does this happen on 10.5 now?  launchd itself?  I didn't see anything
in the source.

-Dave