[launchd-dev] No pboard server?

Dave Dribin dave-ml at dribin.org
Thu Aug 28 21:36:04 PDT 2008

Hi all,

This is sort of a last ditch effort before I re-install....  A few
hours ago, copy and paste stopped working on my MBP (running 10.5.4).
Sure enough pboard was dead.  I decided to reboot, just in case
anything else got messed up.  Now it will not start at all.  Running
"launchctl list" does not show it, and if I try and explicitly list
it, I get the following error message:

   % launchctl list com.apple.pboard
   launch_msg(): Socket is not connected

I get the same error message if I try to load com.apple.pboard.plist.
I've also noticed that Apache and ssh-agent also are no longer
starting, either, so something is definitely wonky with some of the
system daemons.  There are probably other critical daemons not
starting, I imagine, too.

Note: there's plenty of free disk space (32 GB).  Any other idea? I'm
nearly ready to re-install at this point.

Thanks,

-Dave