[launchd-dev] Agent started two different was, two different bootstraps?

Hamish Allan hamish at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 11:59:39 PST 2008

On Jan 25, 2008 7:28 PM, James Bucanek <subscriber at gloaming.com> wrote:

> I wasn't specifying the session type. My logic being that all
> user agents should already be "locked in" to the Aqua bootstrap
> (in Leopard).

I would also have assumed that launchctl, if not provided with a
session type, would load using the "current" session type... but I
already found out the hard way:

http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/launchd-dev/2007-November/000064.html

> In fact, when I tried to include
> LimitLoadToSessionType=Aqua in the plist, launchd ignores the
> plist entirely. I still can't decide if that's a bug or if I
> just completely misunderstand the meaning of
> LimitLoadToSessionType and/or the session type.

Well, TN2083 (http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2005/tn2083.html)
states: "If you don't specify the LimitLoadToSessionType property,
launchd assumes a value of Aqua." So there's definitely a bug
somewhere, be it the documentation or the code...

Hamish