[launchd-dev] Listening socket and fast user switching

Hamish Allan hamish at gmail.com
Thu May 22 14:17:35 PDT 2008

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 8:28 PM, Dave Dribin <dave-ml at dribin.org> wrote:

> As far as I can tell, this means HTTP URLs cannot be consistent across
> launchd invocations, which won't work for me, in this case.  Unless
> there's some way to do Bonjour port lookups?

Well, the flip side of the Bonjour way of doing things is that you
don't store URLs, you store service names, and they are resolved at
the last minute. But if you need to give out URLs for whatever reason,
that won't work for you.

Have you considered having a LaunchDaemon listen on the port and
forward requests to the active GUI user? See
http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2005/tn2083.html#SECBOOTSTRAPNAMESPACES
(read the whole technote from beginning to end, if you haven't
already).

Hamish