[launchd-dev] launchd & mDNSResponder: "Policy denied Mach service lookup"

Björn Giesler bjoern at giesler.de
Sun Aug 2 00:06:46 PDT 2009

Hi,

thanks for your reply!

Am 02.08.2009 um 08:57 schrieb Damien Sorresso:
> mDNSResponder has a policy set on it saying that is is allowed to
> look up only a certain set of MachService names.
> "com.apple.distributed_notifications.2" is not in that list, so we
> log a warning about it. There's probably a framework behind the
> scenes that mDNSResponder uses that is looking up that service.
>
> It's basically a harmless error (I don't believe distributed
> notifications are essential to mDNSResponder's function), but feel
> free to file a bug against mDNSResponder.

Well, that's by far not the only service it requests; it fills up the
log with those messages. I probably picked the least crucial one, it's
also trying to lookup com.apple.system.notification_center,
com.apple.system.DirectoryService.libinfo_v1,
com.apple.SystemConfiguration.configd and lots more.

So if you write that "mDNSResponder has a policy set on it", I guess
my question is, where do these policies get set?

Thanks a lot,
Björn