[launchd-dev] multiple command lines in launchd.

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Sun Dec 13 15:25:22 PST 2009

On Dec 13, 2009, at 2:46 PM, dev.admin at ntlworld.com wrote:

> stumbled across a book (in google) that gives you
> can example of just this. Haven't tried it, but I'm
> having the same problem with something else.

What are you getting stuck on specifically? One thing I've never
gotten to work, even as a single command, is any form of redirection
command.

So 'echo "something" >> /tmp/testfile' has never worked at al. I just
get an exit code in syslog.

If anyone has specific data on how to best debug these cases, and get
more verbosity in the logs, I would love to know how.

I've resisted just using cron for as long as I can, what was easy and
"just worked" in cron, can be a little hit or miss with launchd.

I do love to more granular control over time and other events that can
act as the trigger for the work I am asking launchd to do. That's a
huge win over cron. Triggers based on a file changing, that took a lot
of duct tape to work with cron.

> The link to the book is:
> http://books.google.com/books?id=OoTAWXH6z48C&pg=PT468&dq=launchd&cd=8#v=onepage&q=launchd&f=false
>
> If that doesn't work then search for 'launchd' and the
> book called Enterprise Mac Administrators Guide page
> 452 to 453, Self-destructing scripts.

Thank you! I will take a look at those resources shortly and report
back.

> Although I can't confirm this yet, I *think* you can
> put an entire line on each item terminated with a
> semi-colon.

Duh, why did I never think about that method. I mostly use other plist
files to learn. Since I've only seen multi-command statements as
seoarate strings in the array, one for each command, I never thought
to combine them.

> If you do get it to work, confirmation on this list
> would be appreciated.

For sure. Whatever I discover I will report back here.

Thank you for you research and suggestions.
--
Scott
Iphone says hello.