[launchd-dev] launchd: how is it supposed to be done?

Quinn eskimo1 at apple.com
Mon Jun 29 14:52:53 PDT 2009

At 23:44 +0200 29/6/09, Iceberg-Dev wrote:
>- Is there an example somewhere that _works_ and covers launching a
>daemon with launchd using sockets or mach port as dependencies?

BetterAuthorizationSample is your friend.

<http://developer.apple.com/samplecode/BetterAuthorizationSample/index.html>

>- Is there a tutorial somewhere that covers this subject?

You might find the following interesting.

<http://developer.apple.com/MacOsX/launchd.html>

Also, BAS has lots of comments and documentation.  And DaveZ's Google
TechTalk is definitely worth a viewing.

<http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1781045834610400422>

>- Are these mach port and socket things really working? I dare ask
>because socket dependency was supposed to work on 10.4.0 and AFAIK,
>it was only supported way later.

launchd daemon launch-on-demand using Mach ports requires 10.5.  It
definitely works on 10.5; the system wouldn't boot otherwise.

launchd daemon launch-on-demand using TCP sockets works an advertised
on 10.4 and later.

launchd daemon launch-on-demand using UNIX sockets works an
advertised on 10.4 and later, but it's not particularly useful
without SockPathMode which is available on all platforms starting
with 10.4.6.

S+E
--
Quinn "The Eskimo!"                    <http://www.apple.com/developer/>
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware