[launchd-dev] launchd: how is it supposed to be done?

Iceberg-Dev dev.iceberg at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 16:06:42 PDT 2009

On Jun 29, 2009, at 11:52 PM, Quinn wrote:

> At 23:44 +0200 29/6/09, Iceberg-Dev wrote:
>> - Is there an example somewhere that _works_ and covers launching
>> a daemon with launchd using sockets or mach port as dependencies?
>
> BetterAuthorizationSample is your friend.
>
> <http://developer.apple.com/samplecode/BetterAuthorizationSample/
> index.html>

Not sure. Looked at it and it probably won't work in my case as:

- I don't want to ask the user a password every time. This is
apparently cover by the sample code in one specific case. I need to
look at this more deeply.

- I may have 2 different processes talking to the privileged tool.

- The sample doesn't seem secure with the helper tool being embedded
in the application bundle. There is a potential root escalation
privilege issue here.

- I didn't see a LaunchDaemon plist file.

Basically the issue I see (and have) is that if you want to launch a
tool on every startup, it's a very simple plist to write (and right
permissions to set). If you want to depend on socket or mach port,
it's apparently a ton of code you have to write or understand. There
is a huge gap between these 2 cases and the ladder is missing some
steps.

>> - Is there a tutorial somewhere that covers this subject?
>
> [...]
> Also, BAS has lots of comments and documentation.  And DaveZ's
> Google TechTalk is definitely worth a viewing.
>
> <http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1781045834610400422>

Looks like it covers the same topics as old WWDC sessions.