[launchd-dev] launchd daemon launch delayed when (Snow) Leopard Server Firewall is on (port is open)

Brent Gulanowski bgulanowski at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 12:09:09 PDT 2009

We've found a problem with Daylite Server that if we turn on the
Leopard Server Firewall and open the Daylite Server ports for incoming
connections, launchd doesn't seem to get notified, or at best there is
a long delay, which exceeds our timeout. Longer than two minutes. I
have confirmed that launchd does eventually wake up by connecting with
telnet. Turning
the firewall off results in normal behaviour.

I'm not sure where to start to identify the source of the problem. I could
not find any other reports of this exact behaviour. If anyone has any
thoughts or can point me in the right direction,
that would be appreciated.

Here is the property list as it is found in /Library/LaunchDaemons:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
"http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
      <key>GroupName</key>
      <string>_dayliteserver</string>
      <key>Label</key>
      <string>com.marketcircle.daylite.dlserver</string>
      <key>ProgramArguments</key>
      <array>
              <string>/Library/Application Support/Daylite Server/Daylite
Server.bundle/Contents/MacOS/DLServer</string>
      </array>
      <key>Sockets</key>
      <dict>
              <key>Listeners</key>
              <dict>
                      <key>Bonjour</key>
                      <string>dlserver</string>
                      <key>SockServiceName</key>
                      <string>6113</string>
              </dict>
      </dict>
      <key>StandardErrorPath</key>
      <string>/Library/Application Support/Daylite Server/Logs/Daylite
Server.log</string>
      <key>UserName</key>
      <string>_dayliteserver</string>
      <key>inetdCompatibility</key>