[launchd-dev] launchd-dev Digest, Vol 41, Issue 5

Richard Brown rabrown at quantumcheese.com
Wed Nov 17 07:01:38 PST 2010

Per,
The method I use is to get the version number of the installed tool
and compare it against the version in the app bundle.
Since we know that SMJobBless installs the helper executable in
/Library/PrivilegedHelperTools, you can create the URL to
/Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/com.yourdomain.yourapp.helper and use
NSBundle's + bundleWithURL: method and then call - infoDictionary (or
similarly use CFBundleCopyInfoDictionaryForURL) to get the helper
tool's info dict.  You can then query the dictionary for its version,
and decide whether to prompt for blessing rights.
HTH,
Richard