[launchd-dev] overrides.plist denied write access by ACLs

Thomas Clément thomascl at free.fr
Fri Jan 14 13:10:10 PST 2011

Hello all,

My product installs an agent in /Library/LaunchAgents/ and my application allows the user to enable/disable it.
To do that, I'm calling "launchctl load/unload -w" which stores the disabled state in its per-user overrides.plist file.

However I'm getting several reports from users for which it doesn't work. It turns out their overrides.plist is denied write access by ACLs.

> # cd /var/db/launchd.db/com.apple.launchd.peruser.501
> # ls -ale@
> total 8
> drwx------@ 3 sparker wheel 102 Sep 5 2009 .
> com.apple.metadata:_kTimeMachineNewestSnapshot	 50
> com.apple.metadata:_kTimeMachineOldestSnapshot	 50
> 0: group:everyone deny add_file,delete,add_subdirectory,delete_child,writeattr,writeextattr,chown
> drwxr-xr-x 12 root wheel 408 Feb 25 2010 ..
> -rw-------@ 1 sparker wheel 376 Feb 13 2010 overrides.plist
> com.apple.metadata:_kTimeMachineNewestSnapshot	 50
> com.apple.metadata:_kTimeMachineOldestSnapshot	 50
> 0: group:everyone deny write,delete,append,writeattr,writeextattr,chown

They are also Time Machine extended attributes which may be related to the whole thing.

Have you guys seen this before?
Any idea how these ACLs got here?

Thanks,
Thomas