[launchd-dev] The MachService key

Quinn "The Eskimo!" eskimo1 at apple.com
Tue Nov 22 03:10:02 PST 2011

On 22 Nov 2011, at 10:27, Thomas Clement wrote:

> Actually there are also high level APIs that can be used to do that prior to Mac OS X 10.7: NSMachPort / CFMachPort or CFMessagePort can be used to do IPC through the advertised mach service.

I've not had a good experience with CFMessagePort.  Maybe that's 'cause I work in DTS, and thus I only hear about stuff when it fails, but my experience is that, although CFMessagePort simplifies Mach messaging to the point where you can reasonably use it, there are still plenty of sharp edges.

But your point is well made: if you must support systems prior to 10.7, using CFMessagePort is vastly preferable than trying to do Mach messaging directly.

Share and Enjoy
--
Quinn "The Eskimo!"                    <http://www.apple.com/developer/>
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware