[launchd-dev] The MachService key

Jerry Krinock jerry at ieee.org
Tue Nov 22 04:42:02 PST 2011

On 2011 Nov 22, at 02:02, Quinn The Eskimo! wrote:

> With the above in mind, is taking a dependency on 10.7 feasible?

Yes, we're all Lions now.

> If it is, I can explain how you can use XPC to talk to a launchd daemon via the MachServices key.

Yes, please do.  That was going to be my next question.

As to what a Mach Service is, I gather from the discussion so far that a Mach Service is the underlying IPC thing upon which CFMessagePort, NSPort, etc. (both of which I've used and am familiar with) are built.  Is  "Mach Service" maybe just another name for "Mach Port"?

Thank you,

Jerry