[launchd-dev] Removing a job installed with SMJobBless

Kevin Wojniak kainjow at kainjow.com
Wed Sep 21 10:22:53 PDT 2011

What is the recommended way to remove a job installed using SMJobBless?

I am replacing use of AuthorizationExecuteWithPrivileges with SMJobBless and friends for a run-once privileged helper. Since the helper plist and daemon get installed as root, their files cannot be removed (nor can 'launchctl remove' be used) from a normal app due to permissions. However I am able to do all this cleanup from within the helper itself after it's done performing its task, and it works just fine. Is this safe to do? Is there a better alternative?

Kevin