[launchd-dev] Cause of "Service cannot load in requested session"?

Damien Sorresso dsorresso at apple.com
Mon Nov 16 08:25:32 PST 2015

On 13 Nov, 2015, at 18:32, James Bucanek <subscriber at gloaming.com> wrote:

>> Damien Sorresso <mailto:dsorresso at apple.com> November 13, 2015 at 5:19 PM
>> As I said before, launchd does not support background agents coming from the user's home directory.
>
> I don't think you actually ever said that, explicitly. ;)

Sorry, I interpreted your assertion of "it's broken" as "it's broken because it doesn't load background jobs from the home directory".

> If that's true, then I'm really stuck. I moved from admin-installed agents in /Library/LaunchAgents to per-user agents in ~/Library/LaunchAgents because the new launchctl seems incapable of addressing them. (See the thread "Yosemite not starting a system launch agent" circa July 2015).
>
> So now you're telling me that per-user Background agents aren't supported either? :head desk:

I'm not sure what you mean by "either". Agents are per-user, no matter where they come from. launchd cannot reliably support loading background agents from a user's home directory because the home directory might not be available until a GUI login has happened.
-damien