[launchd-dev] (re)configure a launchd created UNIX domain socket after Fast User Switching (on El Capitan)

Damien Sorresso dsorresso at apple.com
Thu Feb 25 08:27:46 PST 2016

Ludovic,

If possible, I would recommend using XPC for this purpose. Rather than managing the permissions of a socket on-disk, the MachServices names registered by your agent would be in user-specific namespaces such that this collision never happens.

If that is not possible, then I would recommend taking a look at the SecureSocketForKey option. Instead of specifying the path name upfront, launchd will put the socket at a random path and then set that path as the value for an environment variable (which you name in the value for SecureSocketForKey). launchd then assures that all jobs within the same context as your agent get that environment variable so they can rendezvous with your agent. So for example, if your socket dictionary was

<key>Listeners</key>
<dict>
	<key>SecureSocketForKey</key>
	<string>MY_KEY</string>
</dict>

other processes would be able to just do a getenv("MY_KEY") to get the path to the socket and connect to it. This should achieve the user-based isolation you want with sockets. Though as I said before, XPC is a much more natural mechanism for IPC on OS X, so use that if it's a practical option for you.
-damien