[libdispatch-dev] I missed the intro message ;)

Robert Watson robert at fledge.watson.org
Sat Sep 12 02:15:56 PDT 2009

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009, Matt Wright wrote:

> On a similar note to some of the other things I mentioned. When the project
> page talks about the kernel support, are we just talking kevent/kqueues
> here? Or are there more darwin kernel level things at work. I'm looking more
> for the limitations when targeting Leopard, rather than porting to
> non-Darwin, and moving towards using libdispatch linked to an application
> without needing to load kexts/etc on Leopard.
>
> I also found it interesting that you built it so it could run without
> blocks. I found when writing WW that life was ever so much easier using
> blocks to my advantage during implementation.

Hi Matt--

I've got libdispatch building on FreeBSD, and am currently debugging it, so I
can speak a bit to the dependencies I've identified that aren't (yet) in
FreeBSD.  This is probably pretty similar to the list of things in Snow
Leopard but not Leopard:

- libdispatch_init is invoked directly by the libsyscall bootstrap in
   libSystem.  At least on FreeBSD, we can't just switch to an attribute
   constructor because of the way rtld performs locking around library init
   routines, so I'm pondering this still.  This is an issue for a Leopard port
   also.

- libdispatch includes support for monitoring Mach ports.  Not in scope for
   me on FreeBSD, so I just added a HAVE_MACH configure test.  Not an issue for
   a Leopard port.

- libdispatch uses Mach semaphores.  In FreeBSD, I've substituted POSIX
   semaphores.  I've run into at least one issue doing so, as libdispatch
   maintains parallel state and appears not to propagate an initial declared
   'value' to the Mach semaphore.  Once I understand the problem better, I'll
   post a more specific query for the Apple folks.  Not an issue for a Leopard
   port.

- libdispatch relies on mach_absolute_time, which for the purposes of FreeBSD
   I've replaced with clock_gettime.  There are some semantic issues about
   which clock to use -- FreeBSD supports CLOCK_UPTIME, which is basically the
   same, but Linux doesn't, so maybe CLOCK_MONOTONIC, despite meaning something
   different from mach_absolute_time, is the way to go.  Not an issue for a
   Leopard port.

- There are some issues with libdispatch's internal use of the legacy API.  My
   goal has been not to compile in legacy.c, and this has caused a few build
   nits so far.  The only such nit not yet resolved in the libdispatch tree is
   in the kqueue debugging server built into libdispatch.  I think a similar
   goal of non-support for legacy APIs for a Leopard port is reasonable.

- libdispatch uses the pthread_workqueue primitive by default, but can also
   manage its own thread pool using portable pthread primitives.  For the
   FreeBSD port, we'll do the latter for now, but we have an agenda item for
   the FreeBSD developer summit later this week to talk about GCD, and in
   particular, pthread work queues.  For a Leopard port, you should just be
   able to use the "pure" pthread version of the code, which configure picks
   up in the auto* build system.

- FreeBSD requires including pthread_np.h to get non-portable pthread
   routines.  Not an issue for the Leopard port.

- libdispatch relies on the preallocation of pthread thread-specific data
   (TSD) keys for it in Apple's libSystem, and hooks p to them using a
   non-portable interface.  We won't be able to make use of this design choice
   in FreeBSD or other systems, and I assume Leopard probably also doesn't have
   those keys reserved.  My understanding that this design choice was made for
   performance reasons and I have a version that uses pthread_create_key in a
   portable way.  Unfortunately, this is what is triggering my rtld bootstrap
   problems, so I'm still thinking about this.  Leopard would also be affected.

- libdispatch uses Apple's userspace malloc zone API; for FreeBSD purposes,
   I've made it a simple wrapper around malloc, which is functionally correct
   and given jemalloc, possibly as performant.  I'll need to benchmark this
   later.  Not an issue for Leopard.

- libdispatch relies on EV_DISPATCH and EV_RECEIPT, which don't (yet) appear
   in FreeBSD's kqueue code.  I need to look at the SL xnu bits some more and
   decide on the right approach, but likely merging them back to FreeBSD is the
   way to go.  EV_RECEIPT is in Leopard, but EV_DISPATCH is not, which may be
   an issue for the Leopard port.  This isn't an issue I fully understand yet
   but I can probably comment more once I've done a bit more reading.

- libdispatch relies on EVFILT_USER to post events to itself via kqueue from
   one thread to another.  This also needs to be merged back to FreeBSD, and
   isn't in Leopard, so will be an issue.  There are probably workarounds that
   don't involve adding these to the kernel (perhaps using a pipe to do a
   loopback notification, or something more elegant?) but the cleanest solution
   is to have the kernel functionality.  I guess Apple folk might (or might
   not) be able to comment on the chances of this appearing in a future Leopard
   update.

- libdispatch does a run-time query of the kernel build version number for
   debugging reasons.  For now I've just ifdef'd __APPLE__ this and crashinfo
   management for FreeBSD.  Not an issue for Leopard, I assume.

- libdispatch must be built with at least -march=i486 for the gcc built-in
   atomics to work.  I'm using i686 currently.

- libdispatch blocks routines won't work on FreeBSD currently; FreeBSD builds
   fine with clang/llvm, but some work on the C runtime will be required.  In
   particular, it would be good to have the runtime blocks support in FreeBSD's
   libgcc, I suspect.  Non-blocks will apply to Leopard as well, but Apple has
   already carefully ifdef'd all the blocks parts.

All of the above will also apply to Linux, Solaris, and other more traditional
UNIXy platforms.  In addition, ports to those platforms will stumble
significantly over highly integrated use of kqueue, which is perfectly suited
for this purpose but not present on those systems.  I've not yet done an
analysis of how easily something like epoll (or select?) might be substituted,
but I'd guess the specific semantics of kqueue, and especially the
modifications in SL, are quite important.

I'll post patches once I'm a little further, but right now my goals are:

(1) Get the auto* build framework to work on SL.  I ran into a problem with
     the libtool shipped with SL, but have been advised that if I do all the
     libtoolification on FreeBSD it should then work on Mac OS X.  I'll need to
     add MIG-related bits to the build still.

(2) Finish debugging (and resolving) problems bootstrapping libdispatch on
     FreeBSD so I can get to the point where the unresolved kqueue semantic
     issues can be dealt with.

If things go well, I should be able to post patches this weekend, but
debugging the libdispatch startup process involves understanding a lot of
subtle issues so we'll see. :-)

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge