[libdispatch-dev] Using libdispatch in a real-time context

David Leimbach leimy2k at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 07:55:17 PDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 6:53 AM, Stéphane Letz <letz at grame.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Audio developers on OSX would be interested to be able to use libdispatch
> in their applications. We understand that right now libdispatch is not
> designed to be used in a RT context (I guess because of memory issues when
> using blocks...).

So use function pointers?  You avoid a lot of overhead with
async_dispatch_f.  Though I don't think that's going to get you realtime
constraints per below.

> Would it be technically possible to extend libdispatch to be used in a RT
> context? so basically having worker threads to be setup with
> "time-constraint" kind of priority on OSX... and possibly working on a RT
> capable memory manager for blocks management ?

Well you've got timers that can be used for dispatch, and perhaps that
combined with the function pointer version of the interfaces can get you
close enough to realtime to do what you want?

Dave