[libdispatch-dev] Compiling libdispatch on mac os x 10.6

Robert Watson robert at fledge.watson.org
Mon Jul 26 03:58:25 PDT 2010

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010, Mirko Viviani wrote:

> If I link the test with the system dispatch implementation it runs without
> problems. Is there a way to compile correctly the library?

Hi Mirko --

It's quite complex to use the externally distributed libdispatch with Mac OS X
versions that include GCD support, as the integrated version conflicts with
the externally linked version.  I'm not sure what the best solution to this
problem is, but it might involve symbol munging such that the external version
offers similarly named symbols that do not conflict with the libSystem
symbols.  Possibly renaming all symbols when linking the library to
libdispatch_ instead of dispatch_, allowing applications to select which
implementation they're using?

Just hand-waving, I'm afraid, but it would be useful if someone found a clean
solution here that didn't involve rebuilding libSystem.

Robert