[libdispatch-dev] Lion branch porting status

Daniel A. Steffen dsteffen at apple.com
Tue Aug 30 19:24:40 PDT 2011

On Aug 30, 2011, at 18:34, Mark Heily wrote:

> On 08/29/2011 10:07 PM, Daniel A. Steffen wrote:
>>
>> the harness is mostly just posix_spawn with START_SUSPENDED followed
>> by SIGCONT, along with a dispatch proc and timer source to watch for
>> testcase exit/timeout. You can probably skip the START_SUSPENDED/SIGCONT
>> if that is what is causing trouble, the proc source nowadays correctly
>> handles processes that have exited before it gets setup (in that it
>> assumes a non-existent pid means the process has exited).
>
> Thanks, that pointed me at the exact problem. Now the testsuite is running and 50% of the tests are passing. There's still work to be done, but it's encouraging progress. I've enclosed the log at the end of this message.

looks like a great start!
There are a bunch of failures that indicate the whole test didn't run or crashed (so didn't output any individual FAILs), and a number of the SKIPs can probably be overcome by adjusting what they test for (e.g. Mac OS X-specific file locations) so the total number of individual tests that are run should increase as more of the testsuite is fixed up.

>>> I've created a compat/ directory and included a private copy of
>>> libbsd, libkqueue, libpthread_workqueue, and libMachShims.
>>
>> nice! not sure we want to import all those libraries into the
>> macosforge repo though, can we provide instructions/scripts to
>> download them automatically from a canonical location ? (similarly to
>> the macosx build dependencies on Libc/xnu sources)
>>

> That's fair enough; it would be hard to stay current with the changes to libkqueue/libpthread_workqueue. In my repository, I imported libbsd because it's very stable, and am using svn:externals to pull in the other libraries. If you prefer a script or Makefile target to download the dependencies, that's also an option.

svn:externals for the external dependencies sound fine to me, I don't think they will work with the macosforge git mirror though
	git://git.macosforge.org/libdispatch.git
so we should probably still note how to get to them manually (or provide a script to do so?)

Daniel