[libdispatch-dev] updated test results on Linux

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jan 24 06:58:23 PST 2011

On Thu, 6 Jan 2011, David Leimbach wrote:

> That's outstanding!  Is there some kind of page with a status of what needs
> to be done yet?  I'm wondering about the kernel-side scheduling help Mac OS
> X is getting.  I see there's some interesting realtime tests that aren't
> passing below, and those are of interest.
>
> I'm also curious if anyone is tracking this somewhere (Robert W perhaps?)
> for FreeBSD?

(Resurfaces after a few months of disappearedness completing the PhD).

I remain extremely interested in this issue, but haven't had a chance to dig
in yet.  Stacey Son has patches to add kernel workqueue support, which can be
used by libdispatch on FreeBSD.  However, I think there's an important set of
questions to ask about whether it's the right approach.  The library approach
has benefits, not least that it likely fixes the scheduling class problems,
and allows us to defer making kernel decisions (which are harder to change
later).  I'll be on travel quite a bit over the next month but will try to
investigate this on FreeBSD a bit more.

Robert