[libdispatch-dev] libdispatch on VS 2008 and VS 2010 64bit

Marius Zwicker marius at mlba-team.de
Mon Jun 13 12:58:54 PDT 2011

Thanks for your reminder that there were still some warnings waiting to
be fixed ;)

Unfortunately I disagree with you in some aspects. I cannot see any real
benefit from using (u)intptr_t within libdispatch as in my eyes we do
not need a datatype scaling with the architecture but should prefer
another one promising a fixed range on all architectures. This should
increase portability while ensuring feature parity again. As such I
clame size_t the victim as there is no standard concerning its size -
only its minimum size. Bad enough it is used within the public api of
both kqueues and libdispatch. But it can be replaced by (u)int32_t in
most other cases within the implementation easily. Pointers is another
story of course, but those are already fixed within the xdispatch
windows port.

So why stay with a 32 bit datatype while compiling a 64bit binary? For
me the main reason to use 64bit is bigger memory and (some) calculations
running more efficiently. But libdispatch is using neither of them -
only applications built on top of libdispatch. As you wrote the
limitations of a 32bit variable will have no real impact on semaphore
counts and priorities. I claim they also work very well for the allowed
number of queues and the suspend/reference count. As such we can reduce
future efforts by using a fixed size datatype.

On Windows the InterlockedIncrement functions and their relatives
(except the pointer operations of course) will work on 32bit LONG
variables on all architectures - for working on LONGLONG variables on
64bit architectures we would have to use InterlockedIncrement64 and
friends. So all is safe when using the solution explained above.

So for me the remaining problem is the kqueue interface needing the
dispatch_source api to use unsigned long for compatibility and I welcome
any suggestions solving this. Still I consider it difficult to do public
API changes to support a single operating system (Windows) when
resulting in changes on various other operating systems. On Windows it
is sadly very difficult to provide the same sources as on unix platforms
(speaking e.g. of DISPATCH_SOURCE_TYPE_PROC,
DISPATCH_SOURCE_TYPE_SIGNAL, DISPATCH_SOURCE_TYPE_VNODE, ...) as well.
So for me the only practical solution seems to provide a slightly
different dispatch_source (and possibly kqueue) api on Windows,
something I am not really happy about.

 -- Marius