[libdispatch-dev] lib dispatch worker threads may loop depending on compiler optimization

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Fri Sep 16 21:34:02 PDT 2011

On Sep 15, 2011, at 9:04 AM, C. Bergström wrote:

> PathScale is quietly testing and building our x86 HMPP, which is like OpenMP, support around libdispatch.  It's not the center of attention, but attempting to force or depend on clang exclusively would be unfortunate.  (We could care less about gcc bugs though tbh.. Unless of course we copy their bugger behavior)  I just thought I'd chime in..

Fair enough.  It seems to me then like somebody (in the OSS world) needs to put together a directory full of gcc version-specific patches which transmogrify the stock 4.5.1 (or whatever version is targeted) into a blocks-supporting / debugged compiler toolchain.  All of the necessary bits are out there (well, there is a rumored apple branch off the gcc official main line, and of course apple's own code drops), including the runtime bits, so ... it's just a simple matter of integration. ;-)

- Jordan