[libdispatch-dev] lib dispatch worker threads may loop depending on compiler optimization

"C. Bergström" cbergstrom at pathscale.com
Thu Sep 15 09:04:24 PDT 2011

  On 09/13/11 02:57 AM, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> Seeing as how gcc (outside of Apple) doesn't even support blocks,
> which I think we all agree are somewhat fundamental to GCD's
> ease-of-use, is there any real benefit to trying to grapple with gcc
> build issues in any case?  I have a hard time seeing the point of
> creating a build of libdispatch which only supports the _f() variants,
> in other words, and if the user is already essentially forced to use
> clang in order to truly benefit from libdispatch, then why not make
> the bootstrapping of clang on each given target platform a
> prerequisite?  (I googled for "clang for windows" and got a fair
> number of hits, btw, though I don't know how fully baked that port is
> yet).   Just a thought!
Hi Jordan,

PathScale is quietly testing and building our x86 HMPP, which is like
OpenMP, support around libdispatch.  It's not the center of attention,
but attempting to force or depend on clang exclusively would be
unfortunate.  (We could care less about gcc bugs though tbh.. Unless of
course we copy their bugger behavior)  I just thought I'd chime in..

Best,

./C