1.6.0 sometime late next week

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Nov 24 01:43:48 PST 2007

On Nov 22, 2007, at 20:35, Juan Manuel Palacios wrote:

> On Nov 22, 2007, at 9:37 PM, Randall Wood wrote:
>
>>> 	Another thing I forgot to say: I don't currently have a Panther
>>> machine I can use, so I don't see it as likely that I'll be
>>> building a dmg for OS (and, for that matter, I don't have a Tiger
>>> one at the moment either, but I'm more than sure that'll be much
>>> simpler to come by).
>>>
>>> 	So if anyone has a Panther box, has an interest for a dmg for
>>> that platform and feels like lending a hand, please do coordinate
>>> with me to put together that dmg. Chris, you still have your
>>> Panther box?
>>>
>>> 	If we don't come by one I'll simply remove mention of it from
>>> the new website and will tell stragglers that we simply don't
>>> have the resources to produce it.
>>
>> Is there any reason not to simply state that Panther users need to
>> download the 1.5.2 disk image and install from that and ensure
>> that selfupdate is run (if it isn't already run during the install
>> from the disk image)?
>
> 	That's certainly an alternative, sure. If we don't get anyone to
> produce a Panther dmg for 1.6.0 we could definitely go that way.
> Thanks for the suggestion.

Let's produce a Panther disk image. I can scare up a Panther machine
if necessary.

Randall, I assume you meant the 1.5.0 disk image, since we don't have
disk images for minor versions, only major versions.

>> Also is there any reason not to use our sourceforge site as the
>> download source?
>
> 	Sorry, didn't remember we had a presence there ;-) How would we go
> about using it? We would still get our release products up on our
> own site & repository, but if we can also leverage the sourceforge
> distribution engine, then by all means! Can you please coordinate
> that?

I didn't know we had a presence on SourceForge. They have lots of
services: downloads, issue tracker, mailing lists, web site. Should
we start using those as well? I would say no. We already have an
issue tracker, mailing lists, and web site through Mac OS Forge, and
we have thus far hosted downloads there as well. Let's continue to
host downloads and everything else with Mac OS Forge as well. If Mac
OS Forge's download system is insufficient, we should bring that up
with Mac OS Forge management, not jump ship to SourceForge. I think
we shouldn't be using SourceForge for anything. Not that I have
anything against them at all. We just already have alternatives.
Let's keep everything in one place.