[MacPorts] #14062: Website does not render properly in IE7

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpp at macports.org
Mon Dec 29 23:39:37 PST 2008

On Dec 29, 2008, at 5:12 AM, William Siegrist wrote:

> I believe there is a big difference between XHTML 1.0 and 1.1 when
> dealing with IE compatibility. Mac OS Forge uses a lot of XHTML 1.0
> for Trac templates (Genshi), which is similar to your use of it for
> server side processing. My main point was that the MacPorts website
> was simple enough to be HTML4 and would be the least effort. XHTML
> 1.0 would be fine, especially if we want to localize it or use
> templates.
>
> Basically, I'm suggesting using anything but XHTML 1.1.

	As the author of a fair bit of the website code, I can safely say
(even though it might inspire some people around here to lynch me)
that I had no real compelling reason to use xhtml 1.1, other than not
exactly remembering the exact dtd line and copy&paste'ing it from
another doc I was editing at the moment. Other than that, I could
hardly say there's anything on that site that strictly requires 1.1,
so I'm confident "downgrading" to xhtml 1.0 wont be a problem at all
if it'll clear out some of these headaches.

	My two cents, in turn...

-jmpp