[MacPorts] #14062: Website does not render properly in IE7

William Siegrist wsiegrist at apple.com
Tue Dec 30 09:58:43 PST 2008

On Dec 29, 2008, at 11:39 PM, Juan Manuel Palacios wrote:

> On Dec 29, 2008, at 5:12 AM, William Siegrist wrote:
>

>> I believe there is a big difference between XHTML 1.0 and 1.1 when
>> dealing with IE compatibility. Mac OS Forge uses a lot of XHTML 1.0
>> for Trac templates (Genshi), which is similar to your use of it for
>> server side processing. My main point was that the MacPorts website
>> was simple enough to be HTML4 and would be the least effort. XHTML
>> 1.0 would be fine, especially if we want to localize it or use
>> templates.
>>
>> Basically, I'm suggesting using anything but XHTML 1.1.
>>

> 	As the author of a fair bit of the website code, I can safely say
> (even though it might inspire some people around here to lynch me)
> that I had no real compelling reason to use xhtml 1.1, other than
> not exactly remembering the exact dtd line and copy&paste'ing it
> from another doc I was editing at the moment. Other than that, I
> could hardly say there's anything on that site that strictly
> requires 1.1, so I'm confident "downgrading" to xhtml 1.0 wont be a
> problem at all if it'll clear out some of these headaches.
>
> 	My two cents, in turn...

Okay, as the server admin, I do not really care which one you use.
I'll support your choice with whatever headers you need the server to
produce.  Just let me know if anything needs to change on the backend.
(Apache should be able to handle the browser-specific mime types for
you if that would help).

-Bill