*-devel ports

js ebgssth at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 05:08:57 PST 2008

On Feb 7, 2008 1:58 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
> >> I think -devel is better.
> >> For one thing, it's more intuitive.
>
> It was proposed that -devel ports should be updated to the latest
> stable version, if the latest stable version is newer than the latest
> development version. If we act on this proposal, then "-latest" is
> more intuitive than "-devel".

I agree with you,
but I think that the situation that devel-ver < stable-ver is very rare.
I've never seen it. (By newer, you means the version number is greater, right?)
So I don't agree with that proposal.
-devel = development is more frequently used
so, at least for me, -devel is more natural and intuitive.

Actually, I prefer simple name like
mysql51 or python30 instead of mysql5-devel or python30-devel,
but I found this naming convension is not popular ;)