Restructuring Python ports?

Randall Wood randall.h.wood at alexandriasoftware.com
Fri Jan 2 08:48:09 PST 2009

I would like to suggest the following:

That for each version of python (pythonxy), there be the following
ports:

pythonxy, which installs nothing (maybe a readme file so that macports
can consider it installed), but which depends on the following:

pythonxy-core, which is analogous to the current python24 and python25
ports,

pyxy-whatever, which, when all pyxy-whatever ports are installed,
provide a complete basic python installation of the core modules. (I'm
not suggesting that every pyxy-* port be installed, only those which
are required to provide the disabled modules)

We may also want to provide a pythonxy-x11 or pythonxy-core-gui port
which would include the basic python tk/x11 gui capabilities so that
pythonxy-core does not include an X11 dependency.

This may provide an advantage over throwing everything into a single
port in that it would allow the pyxy-whatever ports to be updated
independently of the pythonxy-core port if they need to be.