system_x11 variant - where to draw the line

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at macports.org
Tue Jan 6 11:24:45 PST 2009

So right now the system_x11 variant exists in all the xorg library
ports.  This covers everything that could be installed in ${x11prefix}/
lib with the exception of freetype, cairo, fontconfig, and png.  I did
that since that's more or less where the boundary is between "what we
use from x11prefix" and "what we use from prefix" is now by default
(enforced by the lib:...:... style dependencies for xorg libs and
port: style dependencies for the others mentioned above).  I'd like to
expand that by adding a system_x11 variant to freetype, cairo, and
fontconfig to allow users to use the version of these packages in
x11prefix if they're available.  Does anyone have compelling reasons
why not to do that which I might be missing?