system_x11 variant - where to draw the line

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Tue Jan 6 22:42:29 PST 2009

Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
> So right now the system_x11 variant exists in all the xorg library
> ports.  This covers everything that could be installed in
> ${x11prefix}/lib with the exception of freetype, cairo, fontconfig, and
> png.  I did that since that's more or less where the boundary is between
> "what we use from x11prefix" and "what we use from prefix" is now by
> default (enforced by the lib:...:... style dependencies for xorg libs
> and port: style dependencies for the others mentioned above).  I'd like
> to expand that by adding a system_x11 variant to freetype, cairo, and
> fontconfig to allow users to use the version of these packages in
> x11prefix if they're available.  Does anyone have compelling reasons why
> not to do that which I might be missing?

It seems odd to call the variant 'system_x11' in those cases, since
they're not necessarily used as part of X11 at all. Would it be more
appropriate to change the dependents that use them with X11?

I admit I haven't looked into it enough to know if there would be
problems either way.

BTW, does all this mean that we should be mass-changing lib:libX11:blah
deps to port:xorg-libX11? (Or a different port?)

- Josh