cairo on Tiger: can't locate file for: -lXrender

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Jan 14 21:27:55 PST 2009

On Jan 14, 2009, at 23:04, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

> On Jan 14, 2009, at 19:42, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>>> The problem is with your xorg-lib* libs.  Cairo is finding all of
>>> them in /mp, so it's expecting -lXrender to be in /mp as well.
>>> Mixing libs between x11prefix and prefix actually causes problems
>>> (see #17558).  I'd recommend one of two courses:
>>>
>>> 1) uninstall xorg-lib* and set the +system_x11 variant, so they
>>> are just stubs when we switch to port:* dependencies
>>
>> Set... do you mean put it in variants.conf?
>
> Yeah...
>
>>> or
>>>
>>> 2) Just install xorg-libs to make sure you have all the X11
>>> libraries in /mp.
>>>
>>> You should probably go through and rebuild everything that
>>> depends on X11 to make sure you have consistent linking
>>
>> For that, do I use the script you posted some time ago?
>
> Yeah, that would do it for you...

You initially posted these instructions for uninstalling and
reinstalling ports:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/17558#comment:33

And then this script which just modifies the libraries using
install_name_tool:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/17558#comment:39

The script ends with the message "This tool does not update libtool
archives, so your .la files might be incorrect." How would the user
know which .la files are affected, and how to fix them?

> but I'm a bit more anal than that... I'd port uninstall then port
> install them ;)

How would I identify which ports those are that I should uninstall
and reinstall?

>> It just seems to me that any Tiger user with any X-using ports
>> would run into this issue. How are users supposed to be handling
>> this issue?
>
> by doing just as I mentioned above or by waiting until the
> dependencies are changed to port:XXXX instead of lib:XXXX and it
> should "just work"...

We certainly a Problem Hotlist entry about this then, telling users
how to do this.

It sounds like our ports tree is just broken for existing Tiger users
without significant manual intervention by the user, which is not a
good state for the tree to be in. If the fix is to change the
dependencies from lib:X:X back to port:X again, what is the plan for
doing that? Can it be done now or are there remaining outstanding
issues?