cairo on Tiger: can't locate file for: -lXrender

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at macports.org
Wed Jan 14 21:47:16 PST 2009

On Jan 14, 2009, at 21:27, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> The script ends with the message "This tool does not update libtool
> archives, so your .la files might be incorrect." How would the user
> know which .la files are affected, and how to fix them?

"rm -f /opt/local/lib/*.la" is my recommendation... short of that
'grep '/usr/X11' /opt/local/lib/*.la

>> but I'm a bit more anal than that... I'd port uninstall then port
>> install them ;)
>
> How would I identify which ports those are that I should uninstall
> and reinstall?

'otool -L' and 'grep /usr/X11' should do it... same as the
install_name_tool does...

>>> It just seems to me that any Tiger user with any X-using ports
>>> would run into this issue. How are users supposed to be handling
>>> this issue?
>>
>> by doing just as I mentioned above or by waiting until the
>> dependencies are changed to port:XXXX instead of lib:XXXX and it
>> should "just work"...
>
> We certainly a Problem Hotlist entry about this then, telling users
> how to do this.
>
> It sounds like our ports tree is just broken for existing Tiger
> users without significant manual intervention by the user, which is
> not a good state for the tree to be in. If the fix is to change the
> dependencies from lib:X:X back to port:X again

They're not going back to port:X.  They're going to port:X.  They
haven't been at port:X before.

As is, there shouldn't be any port: dependencies for the X11 libraries
except from other X11 libraries.

> , what is the plan for doing that? Can it be done now or are there
> remaining outstanding issues?

As mentioned, it needs to be done all at once and affected ports need
to be revision bumped (is there a tool to automatically revision bump
a file?  If not, manually setting the revision will probably be the
bottleneck).

The only issue with it that I'm aware of is with ice-cpp conflicting
with xorg-libice on case-insensitive file systems.