[46020] trunk/dports/_resources/port1.0/group/kde4-1.0.tcl

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Wed Jan 28 19:31:30 PST 2009

Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> You should not use default variants in this way. How would a user
> turn off documentation if they did not want it? The user could "sudo
> port install foo -docs" but as soon as they need to upgrade foo, "-
> docs" will disappear (MacPorts never records negative variants) and
> the +docs variant will be selected again.
>
> Either remove the docs variant and just make the documentation build
> always, or if there is value in letting the user remove the
> documentation, then make it a (non-default) no_docs variant that does
> so.

Can we please remember to add support for storing deselected variants?
(registry2.0 *hint, hint*). I don't like those no_* variants very much
as they just do not feel "natural".

The problem occurred again in another port recently (ffmpeg, #18256 [1])
and there are also many other ports using this approach [2]. But I would
consider this only a workaround until we have support in base to do it
right and replace the no_* variants.

Rainer

[1] http://trac.macports.org/ticket/18256

[2] $ port echo variant:^no_ |wc -l