Various questions

C. Florian Ebeling florian.ebeling at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 06:25:40 PST 2009

Hi Jean-Michel,

> * How to become MacPorts maintainer. I checked out the SVN tree. I would
> like to apply for maintenance of sox, mlt, gavl, frei0r, ladspa-sdk and
> kdenlive. Please contact me if you need my SSH pub key. I manage
> kdenlive.org website and you don't have to worry.

The official version of the project rules are in the guide:
http://guide.macports.org/#project.contributing

Basically, you can take over the maintainership of any nomaintainer
port in the collection. Note, though, that maintainers are not
automatically committers. I find that not very practical, but you
are supposed then to work together with a maintainer-comitter,
and mail him you patches. I for one mostly skipped this step,
and nobody really complained about it. And it does not really
fit my ideas of quick internet collaboration, induces addtional latency,
ambiguity about how much testing the committer has to do
after maintainer approval and such. But it's been put down and
is the official rule now. I'd say rather apply for commit right away
than get repelled by the wording there. Somebody said to me
in a direct mail that these rules were from a different time.

To get commit rights you have to send a mail requesting them
to the manager list. See the guide again for details. I hope you
join the band :)

Florian

--
Florian Ebeling