Various questions

David Evans devans at macports.org
Fri Jan 30 12:10:36 PST 2009

Jean-Michel Pouré wrote:
> Dear friends,
>
> Three minor issues:
>
> * I am curious to learn why GTK2 port should rely (ultimately after a
> few depencies) on FFMpeg port. Under Debian GNU/Linux, this is not the
> case and not the case also on most GNU/Linux systems. So there may be
> place for discussion to removal FFmpeg dependency from one GTK2
> dependant package.

I'm not sure this is the case (see attached dependency tree for gtk2).
Can you describe
what exactly happened that convinced you of this?
> * Also out of interest, when FFmpeg is required in dependencies and
> FFmpeg-devel is installed, why does MacPorts complain? Is there a
> workaround. The reason of my question is to add ffmpeg-devel as depency
> of MLT, because a  lot of bugs were fixed in FFmpeg-devel (including
> Mpeg-2 timestamps, which is crutial for MLT).

ffmpeg and ffmpeg-devel are essentially the same port and install the
same files only
with different revisions from ffmpeg svn trunk.  Because of this
conflict, MacPorts
will not allow you to have both activated at the same time.  Its
possible to state a
dependency in terms of the presence of a specific libary or file path.
In that case,
you could convince a port to accept either as a solution for the
dependency and you
could switch between one and other by deactivating one and activating
the other.

This doesn't really work for ffmpeg and ffmpeg-devel because they are
not API/ABI
compatible with each other.  Best thing is to upgrade ffmpeg to the
latest relatively
stable revision and fix all the dependent ports that are broken by the
API change.

I would prefer to find all the dependent ports first, rather than change
ffmpeg
and see what breaks.  Not user friendly, really.

In the meantime, if you want to use ffmpeg-devel for testing locally,
set your
dependency to ffmpeg-devel and then deactivate ffmpeg and activate
ffmpeg-devel (assuming its also installed) like this using the
appropriate version numbers
for what you have installed

sudo port deactivate ffmpeg @15261_3+a52
sudo port activate ffmpeg-devel @15943_1

to see what's installed

sudo port installed ffmpeg\*

Is r15943 good enough for your purposes or does it need to be
incremented to a later revision?

Dave