sh is crashing, errors in szone_malloc, fork

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Jan 31 20:48:10 PST 2009

On Jan 23, 2009, at 11:36, Eric Hall wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 02:15:30AM -0600, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> I can't install php5 on one of my machines. As a maintainer of php5,
>> this is a bit of a problem. I also can't upgrade libxml2. The error
>> is different everytime but often it's sh that crashes, and often the
>> error message mentions libtool. This is a MacBookPro3,1 with Mac OS X
>> 10.4.11 and MacPorts 1.7.0. I have restarted the computer, I have
>> uninstalled and reinstalled Xcode 2.5, I have uninstalled and
>> reinstalled libtool @2.2.6a_0. From the error messages below, does
>> anyone have any suggestions? I'm not in the mood for an OS reinstall.
>
> 	Have you run a memory check?  Do other things crash
> at random?

Thanks for the suggestion. It does smack of a hardware issue, doesn't
it? But no, nothing else crashes; only when I compile some things
with MacPorts. And I ran RAM, processor and logic board tests
overnight and everything comes up clean.

I had this same problem maybe 6 months ago and found no hardware
issue then either. I think I ended up uninstalling all of MacPorts
and reinstalling the ports I used.

Today I was able to narrow the problem down to having gsed @4.1.5_3
+universal (4-way universal) installed. If I uninstall gsed, or
install gsed (non-universal), or install gsed+universal (2-way 32-bit
universal), there is no problem compiling php5 (which I'm not
compiling universal, by the way). I also reproduced the issues on a
second computer, a MacBookPro2,2.

I tried switching gsed to the muniversal portgroup but that didn't
have any effect. So there must be some serious 64-bit issues going on
in gsed. We should probably switch gsed to the muniversal portgroup
and list only i386 ppc as the supported architectures, until it can
build a properly-functioning 64-bit binary. I filed a ticket:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/18297