wxWidgets upgrade to lower version?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jun 25 16:31:10 PDT 2009

On Jun 25, 2009, at 17:57, Darren Weber wrote:

> Yea, just read the `port cat wxWidgets` but didn't check any svn
> logs.  That may explain the upgrade, but it's curious the version
> dropped back because the current stable release is at 2.8.10
> according to the downloads:
> http://www.wxwidgets.org/downloads/

As jameskyle said in the commit message you quoted below, wxWidgets
was downgraded back to 2.8.9 for compatibility reasons. I don't have
more details than that.

> It's a pity the epoch had to be created, because, as I understand
> it, the port will now forever need an epoch number.

I'm not certain why people think that's a pity. Yes, an epoch line
will need to remain in wxWidgets forever, but why is that a problem?

> So, out of curiosity, what happens when this port is actually
> upgraded to the 2.8.10 release?  Can the epoch remain at 1 and the
> version bump up to 2.8.10 - will that trigger an upgrade?  Or does
> the version have to bump up for each new release version?

The epoch can stay at 1 until someone wants to do another downgrade.
MacPorts basically concatenates the numbers epoch_version_revision,
so we had the sequence:

0_2.8.9_0
0_2.8.10_0
1_2.8.9_0

If we later update to 2.8.10 again after resolving whatever the
issues were, it will be:

1_2.8.10_0