x86_64 10.5/i386 fink 10.6 and the options for MacPorts

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu
Mon Sep 14 06:01:22 PDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 02:44:23AM -0500, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Sep 14, 2009, at 02:03, Anders F Björklund wrote:
>
>> I guess that's what you get from upgrading on yearly rather than
>> weekly basis.
>
> Yes, we must must must release new versions more frequently. :-/

Coming from working with fink for all these years, the first thing
that struck me was how painful it is in MacPorts to visually
scan through the various Portfiles. In fink, if you are looking
for coding examples of packaging, you could go to one of the
categories and quickly look through the various .info files for
examples of the packaging you might want to implement. In MacPorts,
because of the directory structure that nests the Portfile this
is much more painful to do. Is there a way on the web site to
quickly get to each Portfile without searching through tickets
or such?
            Jack