x86_64 10.5/i386 fink 10.6 and the options for MacPorts

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Mon Sep 14 06:31:34 PDT 2009

Jack Howarth wrote:

>> I would actually prefer a little less often, like a "stable" branch.
>> But I know MacPorts doesn't have the resources nor the interest to
>> do that, so I just upgrade less often instead. Like this old Tigger,
>> which isn't really supported anymore now that Snow Leopard is out ?
>
> How active is the development branch? I ask the svn didn't seem to
> be that different from the current 1.8.0 release (which I assume
> is very recent).

There is no particular "development" branch, just trunk...

Sometimes "base" is split off into releases like 1.8.0,
and at the same time "dports" is archived with those:
http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/base/
http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/

But they all live in the same branch in the svn repository.

So when you do "port selfupdate" you get the latest release
of base (not trunk), and the latest sync of the ports (trunk).

This is unlike Fink, which has a "stable" and an "unstable"
source distribution and sometimes even a binary distribution.

--anders