Various on qt4-mac

Michael Dickens michaelld at macports.org
Thu Jun 17 20:02:50 PDT 2010

* Looking quickly at the Portfiles for qt4-mac and qt4-mac-devel, I see
not significant differences between them & the patch files.  Anyone know
why the latter exists?  It's difficult enough to keep up the regular
Portfile for the non-devel version (and, qt4-mac is actually ahead in
version number).

* Anyone know why both qt4-mac and qt4-mac-devel are built as "release
and debug" combined?  Could we make a variant "+debug" which installs
the combined version, but with the default being just the release?  I
think there are many of us who are not Qt developers needing debug
libraries, and having just the release will be enough.  With this
variant, those who wish to do developing have that option.

* Anyone know why the pkg-config .pc files for qt4-mac are all of the
"debug" variety?  Why not include the regular by default, the debug when
using the "+debug" variant?

I'm happy to do the work above & take over this port, but I don't want
to be stepping on anyone's toes.  Thanks in advance! - MLD